How Kinder Ready in LA is making a strong impact on early development through a multi-sensory learning approach
After working in the Fragrance Industry for almost a decade, I became fascinated with how brilliant and captivating the advertising is. Why? Because most of the time they are engaging consumers on a multi-sensory level.
Don't believe me? Think about a commercial for one of your favorite fragrances. What do you see? Hear? Smell? How does it touch you? Would you be able to describe the taste of your experience? Do you feel transported to another place?
This is known as sensory branding, which has been my passion and focus over the last 4 years and what I spend most of my busy Lady Boss Mama days working on (around juggling a toddler of course)!
Why is sensory branding important? While most engages one or two of our senses tops (visual and auditory), it has been scientifically proven that people respond to different stimuli. Some might be visual, while others are more tactile. This could mean you potentially lose customers purely from not engaging all of the senses!
But this post isn't about sensory branding. I only use this as an example that multi-sensory learning and engagement is important for all ages.
Surprisingly, many child development programs in the US also rely on visual and auditory methods to develop their students. This means that often when a teacher sees a child not developing at pace with their peers they start to worry.
We should be careful not to jump to conclusions that the child is slow, not intellectually capable, or learning disabled. Perhaps we should look at the way we are teaching them and ask if the delay is a result of not engaging them in the most effective learning experience possible.
Which is why I was very happy to meet Elizabeth Fraley, current founder and CEO of Kinder Ready and Elementary Wise, where multi-sensory (visual, kinesthetic, tactile, auditory, etc.) learning is the fundamental building block for how she approaches their programs.
I first met Elizabeth when I featured her as a Lady Boss in October. At the time, Aiden was just one year old but she was already encouraging me to engage him on a multi-sensory level, offering tips and best practices which I found very valuable.
Recently, Aiden and I had the honor of being invited to her exclusive photo shoot at her learning cottage in Brentwood. Even though Aiden was more interested in the pool than being a model for the shoot, it was a lot of fun to experience what it must be like in one of her programs.
A special thanks to Elizabeth and all the brands that sponsored this sensory experience. From tactile toys and snacks, herbal soaps, magical tents and organic healthy food; we were truly pampered for the afternoon (for more info on the brands, refer to the bottom of this post).
It has been a pleasure connecting with a lady boss who is just as passionate as I am about the senses and believes there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to learning and development.
Curious to learn more about Kinder Ready?
Let me briefly explain the programs offered:
- Targeting children from age 3-5
- Ideal program for families interested in supplementing their child's education
- Ideal program for families looking to apply to private preschools in the LA area
- Targeting children from 6 and up
- Academic classes
- Pre-writing, editing, organizing writing
- Math skills, boosting math confidence, enrichment
- Social studies, science, foreign langue (french and spanish offered)
Location and duration: Many children have an hour long class once a week in their homes or children can come to our Brentwood learning cottage by appointment.
- An academic camp that focuses on guided reading (early reading readiness), fine motor skills, writing, and foundational math skills.
- Mommy and Me classes for 2 years
- Parent classes to educate parents on the milestones of development, how to help my child at home; social and emotional or academic questions, etc.
If you have more questions and are interested in signing up for any of the programs, reach out to Elizabeth.
Brands who sponsored the photo shoot:
- Bunnies by The Bay - great sensory toys and early literacy books
- Earth Baby Mama - comforting teas and pregnancy products
- Wondertents - a perfect way to add a unique touch to kids parties or events
- Cuddle and Kind - every doll purchased helps a child in need (1 doll = 10 meals)
- Hippeas - organic healthy snacks with a crunch
- Organic Kids LA - healthy meals within reach at your home or school